On July 4, 1765, 11 years before Independence Day, several members of the 1734 Presbyterian Church at Fort Noble, on Fiddler's Reach, withdrew from that church and gathered at the Congregational Church at a meetinghouse. As more church members began to live on the mainland, complaints soared about having to row through dangerous ice flows on the Kennebec River in the winter to attend worship services. The present sanctuary was completed in 1802.
The fort was built from granite blocks quarried on nearby Fox and Dix Islands. It had a 30-foot (9 m)-high wall facing the mouth of the Kennebec River and was built in a crescent shape, measuring approximately 500 feet (150 m) in circumference.
During the closing months of the American Civil War, from October 1864 to July 1865, the fort was garrisoned by the 7th Unassigned Company of Maine Infantry.
Established in 1898, as part of a major upgrade of the river's lights. Perkins Island is a small, predominantly wooded island in the southern reaches of the Kennebec River, on the west side of Georgetown Island